How to Help Manage the Challenges of Medical Tests for Aging Adults
There is almost always nothing “routine” about routine checkups at the doctor. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine, but leave with orders for blood work along with other medical tests a doctor recommends to help keep you as healthy as possible. These tests might be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for you, however trying to manage the challenges of medical tests for older adults can be overwhelming for many reasons: transportation problems, thinner skin, mobility issues, cognitive difficulties, fragile veins, and so much more.
There are steps you can take to advocate for and help an older loved one manage the challenges of medical tests more easily. For example:
- Find out if tests can be carried out in the individual’s home. Home health care is becoming an increasingly viable option for blood work along with other tests.
- If the aging adult has to leave home for the test, call the facility where the test will be conducted ahead of time. Find answers to any specific questions you may have about parking, drop-off location, the best time of day to schedule for the test, etc.
- Providing a urine or stool sample can be challenging. Ask the doctor for any recommendations to help make the process easier, for example, a receptacle to position over the toilet as opposed to using a cup. Make sure the bathroom floor is clean and dry and that any bathmats or throw rugs are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
Can Home Care Services Help Manage the Challenges of Medical Tests for Aging Adults?
An in-home caregiver from Responsive Home Care can:
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders to make certain that meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Provide accompaniment to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed
- Take notes to make sure doctors’ orders are understood and followed
- Help the person to get settled safely back at home afterwards, and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that should be reported
- And so much more
Also, many individuals feel much more comfortable receiving assistance for sensitive medical matters from a trained professional. Our caregivers are skilled in discreet and respectful support with personal care needs, allowing family relations to step back and offer the older adult with privacy.
Contact us online or at (954) 486-6440 to arrange for the support necessary for someone you love. We offer a free of charge in-home consultation that will help you understand your options, so contact us today to learn more about our senior care in Hollywood, FL and the nearby areas!